This week in the Theocratic Ministry School we will speak about Barak. Here’re some of the lesser-known facts about Barak, in a easy-to-read point form.
- Jabin, king of Canaan, ruled in Hazor (in Naphtali’s territory)
- Sisera, chief of army, lived in Harosheth (in Ashur’s territory)
- 900 war chariots with iron scythes (bad news for Israel)
- Deborah and her husband Lappidoth lives between Ramah (Close to Joppa? there were many Ramahs…) and Bethel in Ephraim.
Barak, son of Abinoam (of Naphtali?) is from Kedesh-naphtali.
- Barak marches to Mount Tabor
- Takes 10,000 men of Naphtali and Zebulun, apparently unarmed according to Judges 5:8
- Jehovah leads Sisera to the stream of Kishon and defeated him before Barak
The Woman that Killed Sisera
- Jael’s husband is Heber, a Kenite.
- Kenites are the people of Moses’ father-in-law Jethro (Jethro’s other name may be Hobab. Or perhaps Hobab is the name of his son. See Insight article on this.)
- Jael and her husband Heber separated from them and camped at “Zaanannim at Kedesh” (perhaps SE of Megiddo, there wer many Kedeshes, also c.f. Joshua 19:32,33)
Enjoy your meeting!